FROM THE PASTOR…..MY DEAR PARISH FAMILY…..Below you will find the NORTHERN DEANERY PENANCE SERVICE SCHEDULE. After finalizing the dates, the schedule is as follows:
- December 8 Holy Spirit Parish, Lock Haven at 3:00 PM
- December 9 PSU Campus at 7:00 PM
- December 11 St. Matthew’s Parish, Tyrone at 7:00 PM
- December 16 St. John’s, Bellefonte at 7:00 PM
- December 17 Good Shepherd, St. College at 7:00 PM
- December 18 St. Joseph’s, Renovo at 7:00 PM
- December 19 Queen of Archangels, Clarence at 7:00 PM
- December 22 OLV at 2:00 PM
As stated to you earlier, I feel these Penance services are of great spiritual benefit to our Northern Deanery. It is important that the priests do help one another at this busy time of year. Therefore, with some of the schedule service, there might have to be some changes here with our schedule. Please understand that with the shortage of priests and everyone helping each other, it is necessary to adapt and change. Fr. Matt, Fr. Val and I will be attending these services so our presence at the rectory might be at a minimum during the schedule times. I do thank you for your understanding as we journey through Advent reaching the crib of the new born Babe of Bethlehem.
A special mention for the EVENINGS OF THE 11th AND 18th, both Wednesday’s – there will not be an evening Mass nor confessions since we will be out in the scheduled parishes. For those wanting confession on those Wednesdays, please note that we will be hearing after the 7:00 and 9:00 AM Masses throughout Advent. Again, no one will be denied opportunities to celebrate the sacrament.
Also enclosed in the bulletin is the CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR’S SCHEDULE. Please note the times and places for the services. Two main changes are to be pointed out: one of the two 4:00 PM Masses is scheduled to be prayed in the gym and not activities center. And second, the “Midnight Mass” is at 10:00 PM. Other than that everything else is pretty normal.
This will be the last call for reservations to our PARISH CHRISTMAS PARTY to be held this coming Saturday evening from 6:00 – 8:30 PM. This gathering is my way of thanking the parishioners for being a wonderful parish family and is a way of coming together as a “playing family” which is also very important for a praying community. Please call the rectory by Monday morning since I need the number by Monday afternoon.
December 8th, the Celebration of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is normally a holy day of obligation. However, since it falls on a Sunday it is transferred to Monday December 9th. And since the 9th is a Monday, this solemnity is NOT OBLIGATORY this year. However, we will have the normal Mass schedule,7:00 and 9:00 AM for those wanting to attend this liturgical celebration of Mary’s conception.
Lest I forget, I want to extend my THANKS to Ann Rigo and the decorating committee and Bobbi Kenney for the splendid decorations that adorned the front of the altar throughout the month of November. I always believed that prayer is enhanced by using the decorative adornments. I hope all parishioners found the fall display as uplifting as I did. Thanks, Ann and Bobbi.
HUMOR FOR THE WEEK – What mothers of famous children might have said:
- Columbus' Mother: "I don't care what you've discovered, Chris. You still could have written."
- Michelangelo's Mother: "Mike, can't you paint on walls like other children? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get that stuff off the ceiling?"
- Mary's Mother: "I'm not upset that your lamb followed you to school, Mary, but I would like to know how he got a better grade than you."
- Batman's Mother: "It's a nice car, Bruce, but do you realize how much the insurance is going to be?"
- Goldilock’s Mother: "I've got a bill here for a broken chair from the Bear family. Do you know anything about this, Goldie?"
- Albert Einstein's Mother: "But, Albert, it's your senior picture. Can't you do something about your hair? Styling gel, mousse, something...?"
- George Washington's Mother: "The next time I catch you throwing money across the Potomac, you can kiss your allowance good-bye!"
- Superman's Mother: "Clark, your father and I have discussed it, and we've decided you can have your own telephone line. Now will you quit spending so much time in all those phone booths?"
- Thomas Edison's Mother: "Of course I'm proud that you invented the electric light blub, Thomas. Now turn off that light and get to bed."