FROM THE PASTOR…..MY DEAR PARISH FAMILY, as I have said every year at this time, it is hard to believe that we are heading into the SEASON OF LENT. Just a few weeks ago we took the poinsettias off the altar and now we are erecting the cross in our sanctuary. Yes, Lent is here. And yet, it is to be a joyful time of preparation to celebrate the passion, death and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus. I view it as a 40 day walk in the desert. The desert has always been a symbol for saints and sinners alike where we are to come and realize our total dependence upon God. In the desert, we are stripped of everything and come to realize that our God is our All – reliance upon God alone is the theme. That was the experience of the Israelites’ journey through the desert and that will be ours over the next few weeks. To help us come to our awareness of our dependence upon God, I would like to bring to your attention a few items.
1. ASHES, marking the beginning of our desert journey, will be distributed during Mass on Wednesday at 7:00 AM, 9:00 AM (with the school children), 12:05 and 6:00 PM.
2. STATIONS OF THE CROSS will be celebrated on Fridays of Lent at 7:00 PM in the church.
3. In keeping with the Diocesan Celebration of the YEAR OF MERCY, the Sacrament of Reconciliation will be offered on Thursday, February 11, from 6:00 – 7:00 PM. This is an extra onetime event on Thursday for our parish.
4. For those who want additional penance over the next few weeks, I will be offering my class on the LETTERS OF ST. PAUL on Mondays from 7:00 – 8:00 PM in the Activities Center. We have already started, but it is never too late to come.
5. Northern Deanery PENANCE SERVICES are being scheduled. When the list is complete, I will publish it in the bulletin. So that you may mark your calendars for ours, it will be held on PALM SUNDAY AFTERNOON, MARCH 20TH at 2:00 PM.
6. We have bought extra booklets -THE WORD AMONG US – for parishioners. They are an excellent tool for spiritual reading as well as containing the daily and weekend Mass readings. Please feel free to pick one up and use it in your spiritual preparation.
With the above aids, it is my hope that we all may prepare our hearts and come up out of the desert to celebrate the gift of New Life that comes from the Lord. May God bless us all as we journey through the desert.
As you have noticed by now the NEW PARISH DIRECTORIES have arrived. They are in the Gathering Space ready to be picked up by parishioners. I am very proud of the directories. It is one of the most complete directories I have ever initiated. I want to thank Chris Kirkpatrick for heading up this project for the church. He spent countless hours working to make this project a success. Also huge thanks go to Diane Lapinski for picture taking and editing the book. And thanks to Jeff Shultz for picture taking as well. With their combined efforts, we have a pictorial that we can be proud of and which will be very useful. Thanks all and God bless!
HUMOR FOR THE WEEK – ACTUAL BULLETIN ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- The Rector will preach his farewell message after which the choir will sing "Break Forth into Joy."
- Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24 in the church. So ends a friendship that began in their school days.
- Eight new choir robes are currently needed, due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.
- Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles, and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.
- Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person(s) you want remembered.
- The church will host an evening of fine dining, superb entertainment, and gracious hostility.
- The pastor would appreciate it if the ladies of the congregation would lend him their electric girdles for the pancake breakfast next Sunday morning.